Friday, April 3, 2015

Instrument

instrument

IN'STRUMENT, n. [L. instrumentum, from instruo, to prepare; that which is prepared.]
1. A tool; that by which work is performed or any thing is effected; as a knife, a hammer, a saw, a plow, &c. Swords, muskets and cannon are instruments of destruction. A telescope is an astronomical instrument.

2. That which is subservient to the execution of a plan or purpose, or to the production of any effect; means used or contributing to an effect; applicable to persons or things. Bad men are often instruments of ruin to others. The distribution of the Scriptures may be the instrument of a vastly extensive reformation in morals and religion.

3. An artificial machine or body constructed for yielding harmonious sounds; as an organ, a harpsichord, a violin, or flute, &c., which are called musical instruments, or instruments of music.

4. In law, a writing containing the terms of a contract, as a deed of conveyance, a grant, a patent, an indenture, &c.; in general, a writing by which some fact is recorded for evidence, or some right conveyed.

5. A person who acts for another, or is employed by another for a special purpose, and if the purpose is dishonorable, the term implies degradation or meanness.







SCRIPTURES:

Alma 1:8

  • Book of Mormon
Now the name of the man was Gideon; and it was he who was an instrument in the hands of God in delivering the people of Limhi out of bondage. 

Alma 29:9

  • Book of Mormon
I know that which the Lord hath commanded me, and I glory in it. I do not glory of myself, but I glory in that which the Lord hath commanded me; yea, and this is my glory, that perhaps I may be an instrument in the hands of God to bring some soul to repentance; and this is my joy. 

Alma 2:30

  • Book of Mormon
And it came to pass that Alma, being a man of God, being exercised with much faith, cried, saying: O Lord, have mercy and spare my life, that I may be an instrument in thy hands to save and preserve this people. 

Mosiah 23:10

  • Book of Mormon
Nevertheless, after much tribulation, the Lord did hear my cries, and did answer my prayers, and has made me an instrument in his hands in bringing so many of you to a knowledge of his truth. 

Alma 17:11

  • Book of Mormon
And the Lord said unto them also: Go forth among the Lamanites, thy brethren, and establish my word; yet ye shall be patient in long-suffering and afflictions, that ye may show forth good examples unto them in me, and I will make an instrument of thee in my hands unto the salvation of many souls. 


2 Nephi 3:24
 24 And there shall rise up one mighty among them, who shall do much good, both in word and in deed, being an instrument in the hands of God, with exceeding faith, to work mighty wonders, and do that thing which is great in the sight of God, unto the bringing to pass much restoration unto the house of Israel, and unto the seed of thy brethren.


QUOTES:


PERSONAL DEFINITION:
I believe an instrument is a tool. A creation designed for bringing about some purpose. It is a thing made to do something.
I think we are all instruments. We were made to do something great. If we let the Lord be our tool master, we can be confident in our faith and know that God will create powerful things through us.




No comments:

Post a Comment